Monday, September 17, 2012

Desert Heat Wins 1-0!

Jeri Howland's 70.3 Ironman Worlds Race Report
 
I arrived in Las Vegas Friday morning with a winning attitude and a strong well-prepared body. I knew it would be hot so I grabbed a few extra items of clothing to change into upon arrival from the SF Bay Area and hitched a ride to the 2012 Ironman 70.3 World Championships expo and registration, located at T2 in Henderson, NV.
When I stepped into the expo I simply was aghast. The heat was intolerable to me-- I felt like I had on an astronaut suit on, head gear and all. I met a few friends from the Bay Area and the talk was easy - it's hot, have you swam yet, aero helmet or no aero helmet for race day, etc. It occurred to me that this weather was hottest I've ever been in. let alone raced in. The temp in my friend's car was 106. 

To avoid the muddy waters of Lake Las Vegas, my buddies and I went out to Lake Mead for a swim. How strange,  - the water felt like it was coming from  thermal hot springs. It was what you would expect from a hot tub, not a high desert lake surrounded by big mountains. It was the next glimpse at the conditions we'd be dealing with for race day.

Race day:
I awoke in plenty of time to have my pre-race breakfast and coffee and walk 1/2 mile to race start. I stepped onto the deck off my hotel room and looked at the lake. Unlike a typical race  morning in Kona, there was no movement. The palm trees were still, the lake was still. The air temp was 85. Compared to the whipping winds of Kona this seemed like a good thing. My wave was the first of the amateurs at 6:40 am which meant I would have a real chance of getting in before the heat of the day - except when the day begins at 85 degrees you're already there.
 
At the swim start,I put myself at the front of the wave and when the gun went off I dug deep and went as hard as I could for 400 yards until I was clear of the pack and able to get into my sustainable pace. Nothing felt bad, though nothing felt great on my swim and though i was 2nd out of the water for my age group  I had a record slow 1.2 miles for me. 34 min. I have to say my new Zoot Speed Suit felt fantastic and it was easy to get it off. The run through transition was long but once I got to my bike I was close to the big hill out of T1 that takes you up to the bike mount line. Check. I had everything i needed on the bike - regular helmet vs aero helmet so i could soak my head with water, race fuel in my little waist belt,  race #, sun glasses, shoes. Bike was ready to go.
 
 
I was no sooner out on the course than I realized my #s, particularly power, were low. While it seemed I was pushing i was coming up short. Why I wondered. Don't worry, ride hard, this is the world championships. The course was hot already and soon enough studly young guys were passing me. That's ok, stay focused. Drink. Drink. Drink. Why don't I have zone 3 #s on my power meter? In the end, my bike was slower than i planned and my energy on the low side. Buy when I got off the bike (remember....this was my 4th race this year after 32 years of racing -- I'm no stranger to the brick!!), I felt like i had a car on my shoulders. I could barely hold up my body. But the determination was there. Go. Go. Do not fret this - get ice and drink drink drink.
 

I put a block of ice inside my bra and one down my shorts. The latter made it hard to run so it came out, but i did make a serious effort to keep ice on body whenever possible. The aid stations came soon enough. And I was not motoring through them like I did 2 months earlier at Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens where I won my age division by 13 minutes. Today's run was a struggle from the first mile and I hated to see myself get slower and slower. By mile 8 my muscles from my hips to big toes were cramping, at times stopping me dead in my tracks. Never did i think i would not finish but there were a few moments where the body was challenging the mind. I would lash back with a thought like this: 'come hell or high water we are finishing this event." And onward at a pace and mindset I really didn't plan for at this event. I had my mind set on a podium finish, like 2006 at Clearwater. Well after my intended goal, I finished with the rare no-smiley Jeri Howland face. I didn't even punch my arms in the air, something I love to do at every finish line. This week has been a low one because I feel very disappointed in my performance but I force myself to glean what's possible and look towards a better day in the future. 

Lessons learned:

1. Finishing is infinitely better than a DNF, no matter the finish time.
2. Pride may be hurt, but it will heal (one week later, I'm still a bit upset but my sights are moving forward to racing in the winter!)
3. There are many very impressive athletes in our midst - old and young a like  - and this inspires me.
4. My body is a mystery. There is still more to learn about how to work it under these conditions, but I may choose to completely avoid hot races.
5. My husband is still my most wonderful wonderful ironmate and no matter how lousy I feel about these matters, he sees the silver lining and reasons to love me more!

No comments:

Post a Comment